Lately I've been working in Zbrush to better incorporate it into my workflow. Below is a set of wood floor planks I sculpted. I was then able to easily bake it down for the normal map and texture information for the Diffuse and Spec (ambient occlusion, height, and cavity maps).
Well I took a little time to cut the fireplace into individual pieces and worked out better loops for Zbrush. I also quickly made a grate and some logs. I should be ready to take this into Zbrush for a sculpt now.
Well I'm back to my tile set and I decided to work in Maya now that I've gotten it working again. I've spent 5 years in max and it would be nice to shore up my 1-2 years in Maya. I've rigged, animated, UV'd, textured, rendered, and lit in Maya but never really went too far modeling so here goes. There are too many companies out there that use Maya to not get a good grasp of it. I want there to be no doubt that I can create in Maya what I make in Max.
I'm starting off with a fireplace to show what I've learned with stonework. I got the basic model done and I'll concept out some of the detail during my lunch break tomorrow so that I can model that up quick and get into Zbrush.
I'm continuing my tile set work with this chest model. I started work on painting another wood texture that will tile with the one I already have to create more variation. Once those are done I will paint carpet/rug tiles to further break up the floor. To give myself a chance to model I quickly worked up this chest model. I've been texturing so much during work that I just needed to model. I plan to take it into Zbrush soon and work in damage, detail and a good start for the texture. Also, I've decided not to try to work this into Torchlight. My time is better spent working it into UDK and giving these items higher polies and quality texture maps (normal, spec, and diff).
I've gotten really board waiting for DW so I decided to start working on a tile set using my painted textures as the starting point. I started playing around with TorchEd for Torchlight but I'm still working on converting their .mesh files into files that Max can read. Wile I work back and forth on that I decided to start working on it based on what I saw with Torchlight's own tile sets. I've been working out how they made their tile sets and the different variations they made and trying to create that in my own tile set. If I can never get it into TorchEd I'll at least get it into UDK. This has been fun and I'm looking forward to what it will teach me about modeling modularity.
Work In Progress Blog
Here is where I will post updates on what I am working on before each project is ready to post on my main page.